Monday, September 16, 2019

Our Caring Vinedresser...

These last couple of weeks have been extremely busy for me and quite overwhelming. And it's only getting busier. Will it ever stop? Can anyone feel me?

I need a break. A real break. More than that...perhaps I need to re-evaluate my priorities...I need God to give me some direction. And it may not be easy as He "prunes" my schedule.

That brings me to John 15:2b "...and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear more fruit."



Now when Jesus gave this talk in John 15, the disciples would have understood in a way that is somewhat lost on us who have never worked in a vineyard, or even an ancient vineyard like this one.

A Vinedresser, for one thing, is different than any other farmer. They work with these branches for years...decades even! And they tend the branches year round. They come to know the branches individually - which ones produce easily, which need more encouragement, which are more prone to insect infestation...and how to get the best harvest from each...

The Vinedresser will even name the branches, the relationship is such. More like we think of for a Shepherd with sheep.

So, this Vinedresser, our God, tends to the branches, to us intentionally, with wisdom and great care. He prunes the branch to enhance fruit production, just as God prunes things from our lives that are excess, preventing us from realizing His purpose for us.

Things like Netflix, Facebooking, this ministry, that book club...you know how it goes. None of these things are bad...some are very good, noble even. But in excess, it just becomes too much.

Branches in a vineyard favor growth over fruit production and they can grow vigorously. But most growth is the leafy green stuff that will block the light from getting to the fruit. So, the Vinedresser has to mindfully prune back the leaves so that light can nourish the fruit.

This is true in our lives. We need His Light in order for us to grow and mature into what He has created and purposed us to be. So, sometimes He has to prune the excess in our lives. For me, I love Facebook...keeping up with my friends. But I have found it can absorb gobs of my time. So, I have to now set a timer when I get on. This allows me to enjoy this good thing without allowing it to become excessive.

What about your life? Can you sit with the Lord and ask Him if there is some pruning that needs to happen in your schedule? You may find that there is rest to be had if you will only take hold of the opportunity!



No comments:

Post a Comment