Wednesday, March 27, 2019

UNAFRAID: What do I do with my fear?



I am a classic worrier. And, before God did a drastic...and I mean complete overhaul on me, I was desperately fearful of so many things. I'm still a work in progress, mind you, but God has brought me a loooong way in the "thou shall not be fearful" category.

Fear used to paralyze me. I was afraid to take my kids to the park, leave them with a sitter (even my parents), or allow my husband to drive 5 minutes down the road to Walmart in broad daylight. Yes, I was certain he would die in a burning inferno of a car crash.

You may be laughing...maybe a little...or you might be nodding. Cause you know this fear. And you know it well.

God did many things in my journey...one thing being to teach me that fear can be a TRUST ISSUE. For me, it was. And He put a book smack dab in my face one day that helped me better understand my fear and relate to someone else's experience...as well as take that first step toward trusting Him more.

The book, Unafraid, by Susie Davis (you can click on the title to find the amazon link) was definitely, literally a God-send. And it pointed me to a book I already had in my own library. And so do most of you: the Bible. There is an account in Numbers (yeah, I know...those early Old Testament books can honestly get a bit overwhelming and your eyes blur over...but they are filled with treasures if you can stick it out)...but this recalled event in Numbers was life-changing when this author brought it back to memory.

Let's look in the 13th and 14th chapters. I'll "read" it in the Inter-ever-leaning Sara Version...

One day, God said to Moses, "Get your best guys together to scout (spy) out Canaan, the land I'm giving you. Let's pick the best dude from each of the tribe for this task."

Moses thought this was a good idea, as it came from God and everything He says is pretty much on point. So he got this spy force together.

Among them were a bunch of Agent Bubbas (when I was younger, one of my Sunday School teachers said that if you couldn't pronounce the name, just insert "Bubba") and two I can pronounce: Agent Caleb and Agent Joshua (pictured below).



So Moses called a briefing for Mission: Canaan...

"The entry point is here by way of the Negev. Survey the land and the native activity. Are the indigenous people strong? Weak? How many? What is the topographical layout and potential growing yield of the land? Are the cities fortified? Or are the people in camps? Are there trees?"

The spies all nodded.

"Be brave, men. Oh, and bring me back some fruit."

The mission commenced and the spies entered the target area as instructed. They scouted as told and even gathered some fruit to appease their commander. Their deployment took 40 days before they returned to report what they had seen and heard.

They gathered with Moses, Aaron, and the Israelite community for a debriefing. Their faces were grim.

"We went into the land as commanded. It is indeed a good land. Wonderful and lush. And, uh, here's your fruit, Commander."

Moses waved it off, eager for more details.

"But the natives, sir, they are strong, their cities are fortified and well-defended. And they are many."

The people stirred.

Agent Caleb stepped forward and attempted to calm the group. "Let us go now! It is not more than we can handle!"

"Are you crazy, Agent Caleb? We can't attack the indigenous peoples! They are stronger than we are! The land devours its inhabitants...the natives are not just many, they are giants! The Bubba descendants are there...to them we are like little bugs they are so big!"

Then everyone cried out and wept. They complained about the Commander and his brother, Aaron. "Why didn't we just stay in Egypt? Or just die in the desert wilderness? Why must we come here to die in battle? Maybe we could go back to Egypt? Yeah, that's a good plan. We can vote in a new Commander-in-Chief and just go back to Egypt!"

Agent Joshua and Agent Caleb stood before the people of Israel and said: "This land we have seen...it is very good. If God is pleased with us, He will bring us into the land. A land full of good things. He will give it to us. Please, don't rebel against the Lord. Don't be afraid of the people in the land, we will conquer them. The Lord is with us. Don't be afraid!"

Well, the Israelites wouldn't listen, and God becomes...well, I'll let you read what happens. But it's not good for the Israelites, suffice it to say.

But, do you see it?

Like the majority of the spies, if you focus on your fears and how big they are, they do seem overwhelming...like giants.

But no matter how big the fear. How insurmountable it seems or actually is...when you focus on GOD, the size of the fear will shrink.

It's all about perspective.

So, are you looking at the fear? The problem?

Or are you looking at God?



No comments:

Post a Comment